Liaison OfficerInternship/Job @Women For Afghan Women (WAW) posted 7 months ago
About Women for Afghan Women (WAW):
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York. In particular, WAW works to help Afghan women and girls exercise their rights to pursue their individual potential to self-determination and to represent in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW relentlessly advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence to influence attitudes and bring about change.
WAW and UNHCR are recruiting motivated and qualified staff for the 08-month UNHCR funded project “Facilitation of UNHCR’s protection interventions for IDPs, Refugee Returnees and other persons of concern in the N/NERs”.
The incumbent will be based in Badakhshan province and will undertake duties related to coordination, monitoring, and advocacy on behalf of UNHCR Sub Office Mazar and Field Unit Kunduz.
The incumbent is expected to be fully engaged with local authorities and humanitarian partners in the province to promote the protection and assistance to UNHCR persons of concern, namely conflict-induced IDPs and refugee returnees.
The incumbent will coordinate and be in contact regularly with UNHCR field and protection units based in Sub Office Mazar/Field Unit Kunduz as well as UNHCR implementing partners present in the province.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain a close working relationship with provincial authorities, such as DoRR, ANDMA, provincial Governor Office, security enforcement agencies, other inline departments as necessary;
- Participate in relevant coordination activities in the area related to protection and response to IDPs;
- Provide UNHCR with timely and accurate information on major protection, security, and humanitarian developments;
- Keep abreast on trends in displacement and timely identify protection issues to be brought to the attention of UNHCR
- Coordinate with UNHCR partners, WAW and ORD, to ensure issues identified by monitoring teams are duly addressed with UNHCR and with other actors in humanitarian coordination meetings;
- Support the implementation of UNHCR programs in the province by addressing technical issues with authorities, monitoring the programs, and supporting partners in field and protection monitoring visits.
- University degree or at least 5 years of progressive professional experience in a program management capacity;
- Previous experience in UN agencies and/or NGOs in Badakhshan province;
- Previous experience in humanitarian programs requiring coordination with provincial authorities and other partners
- Previous exposure to humanitarian coordination mechanisms related to IDP protection and response.
- Excellent knowledge of the social, political, and security context of Badakhshan province;
- Good drafting and communication skills in English and Dari /Pashtu;
- Uphold the highest humanitarian standards and principles;
- Good negotiations skills;
- Capacity to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Good planning and organizational skills;
- Have the ability and willingness to travel and spend long hours in the field locations;
- Have the capacity to work independently and as part of a team;
- Have excellent interpersonal relationships, networking, and communication skills;
- Have good analytical skills and capacity to coordinate with a variety of humanitarian actors and local institutions;
- The previous record of managing humanitarian and/or development programs at provincial and/or regional level;
- Previous exposure to protection activities and programs;
- Reports on a daily basis to the UNHCR Field and protection focal points.
- Coordinate on daily basis with UNHCR Provincial Focal points on mission planning and monitoring schedules in the field.
- Report on a weekly/monthly basis on activities, achievements, and challenges to WAW Regional Manager and UNHCR.
Interested Afghan applicants should submit their CVs along with a cover letter indicating their interest and suitability for the position. Please indicate the vacancy number (VA# 975 Liaison Officer) clearly in the Subject line and send it to [email protected]